When Canelo Álvarez received a surprise draw against Gennady Golovkin on the Mexican Independence Day weekend last year, there was strong controversy.
Álvarez's victory ended Golovkin's undefeated streak and his historic 160-pound reign on a division record of 20 defenses, a streak he shares with Golden Boy Promotions partner Bernard Hopkins. Hopkins was at ringside and had made no secret, prior to the fight, that he wanted his man to win not only for the good of the company, but for his record.
Justices Dave Moretti and Steve Weisfeld scored the fight 115-113 for Alvarez, and Glenn Feldman scored 114-114. ESPN.com also scored it 114-114.
"I showed my victory with facts. He was the one who was backing down," Alvarez said through an interpreter. "I am satisfied because I gave a great fight. It was a clear victory."
Moretti, who scored last year's bout 115-113 for Golovkin, and Weisfeld both scored the 12th round for Alvarez, who gave him the victory and ended Golovkin's career as the longest active world starter. He had a world title since 2010.
"I can't complain. We have judges for that," said Abel Sánchez, Golovkin's coach. "We had a great fight, the one we expected the first time. I had it close by entering round 12. We had good judges who saw it from different angles. I can't complain about the decision, but it's close enough. To warrant a third fight. Canelo fought a great fight. Congratulations. "
But this time, in yet another tough battle, Alvarez claimed a majority decision victory in the biggest fight of the year to take the Golovkin Unified World Middleweight Championship on Saturday night before a total crowd of 21,965 at T-Mobile. Sand.